Thursday 11 July 2013

Honda Nationals - 20/04/2013

So the week after the VSSC R2 at Sandown it was the Honda Nationals. Like Sandown, not much really happened to the car. Basically ran it as it was.

Winton is a track I still really am not used to. Felt like I was doing all I could, but the times just didn't reflect how I was feeling in the car. Previous best was 1.43.2 which wasn't that great and ended up walking away with a 1.42.2. It's a second off, but really I think I am still at least 2 seconds off where I should be, and about 4 seconds off where I want to be.

Think more time and a better setup is needed here...But there were also a few things on the day that held me back a little. Upon arriving at Winton I realised my rear tyres were basically bald...not great for traction. Then combined with a fairly averagely run day (but not bad for first go and the amount of first timers on the track), but this meant that a lot of oil was spilt on the track, not a good thing on a good day, but even worse when running tyres with no tread. The amount of red flags happening that day meant getting a good run was impossible, I didn't get one session that didn't get a black flag, and then finally on my last run where I had a bit of free air ahead of me, my tyres told me they had enough by sending me flying mid sweeper shooting me over the grass, then back over the track and into the dirt.

But being at a Honda specific day was great fun and it was great to see all the awesome Honda's there. It has given me a bit more motivation to get a good car setup for next year and get some more practice at Winton so I can get a much better time!!

Also mid day I noticed a hairline crack in my front rotor...the main reason why I didn't want drilled rotors, but didn't have much choice when I was purchasing. As I was loading it up on the trailer and strapping the car down I heard a massive bang...check the straps and all looked ok...so went home...but more on that in the next post...

Best time: 1.42.2 (new PB)






No comments:

Post a Comment