Monday 18 August 2014

So we are now mid 2014...Not much luck and not many posts

So, hasn't been a great year for the old ED...It's only had a handful of outings, non of which I would say have been terribly successful. So after I got everything back together again, with the new suspension and changes to the car I was ready for my first track day.

Phillip Island: Well this was a bad start to the racing year...First lap had a fair bit of smoke coming out of the back of the car, pulled into the pits and was trying to find where it was coming from, while I was doing this a gust of wind came and smashed my bonnet into the windscreen and shattered it...so that was my day done, not even a full lap done.

Sandown: With a new windscreen installed and the cause of the oil leak found and fixed I headed to Sandown to try to get in a good day. Once again on this first session there was a fair bit of smoke, after pulling back into the pits we found the issue, last time the oil leak had leaked onto the heat wrap for the exhaust, so was just burning up. So we cut that away and were ready to head back out. Next session the car was majorly down on power, pulled back in and water had gotten into the plugs, emptied that out and went out for the next session, car was majorly misfiring...we determined it could be old fuel and / or bad leads. So with some octane booster added to the fuel went out for the final session and was still misfiring at high rpm...So that was my day done, so good runs, no real chances to get anything warmed up, so a few seconds slower than my PB

Sandown: A new set of leads chucked on and I was ready for Sandown, car felt great straight up, plenty of grip and considering the day (a bit wet) I was pretty happy with the car. On the warm-up lap I was actually running at PB time!! So got a bit excited and with everything too cold ended up running off the track into the kitty litter...no big deal, just meant for a lot of cleaning off the front diffuser. Managed to get a few more sessions in that day, and walked away with a new PB 1.29.2, about .3 quicker than before...but the track wasn't at its best and neither was my driving...so defiantly a lot more to loose off that time. 1.28's should be easy with potential for 1.27's.

Phillip Island: After driving half way to Phillip Island in the pouring rain a few weeks previously and then turning around and going home because of the conditions I was eager to get the car out at PI. But unfortunately got in 2 sessions in wet condition's and then got done for noise. Was pretty happy with how the car was feeling though, was running about 20sec slower due to the weather and cold car, but was still comparatively going decently compared to others (mates GTR is about 10sec quicker than mine in the dry but I was running a few seconds quicker in the wet that day with worse tyres)

So that's been my racing experience this year...really not much to shout about and hence why I haven't been on here much!! Hopefully all is sorted now and I can start to get used to the car again and start pushing it a bit more. I finish up my studies this month which will allow me to get back to racing more often and more seat time.

The aim for the car in the next few months is: New seats, retune to E85, and new exhaust system that will allow for my splitter & diffuser system to work. Have another track day coming up in a few weeks at Sandown so will post up results after that.

No pics in a while, so here they are!!

3 comments:

  1. Nice see update on the build
    Car still looks mint
    Make me want finish my ed9 crx and get out there and have some fun

    Pat88c from ozhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...yeah, been a while since an update. Didn't realise how much I had done to it until I looked at the last photos I posted up!! Hopefully the bugs are now sorted out and I can have a good last part to the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo good I've got a ed with d16 just getting put in next week I love it hatch not to many people doing these up in aus any forums for this car

    ReplyDelete